A blog by an Irishwoman, written in both English and Swedish, depending on what humour is on me....
En blogg av en irländska, skriven på svenska och engelska.
Just scroll down to find the English bits among the Swedish, or vice versa.

Ta Gaeilge agam freisin, más é an rud é go bhfuil éinne eile le Gaeilge ag léamh mo bhlagsa.

Ich verstehe auch ein bisschen Deutsch, je parle un petit peu francais och klarar av lite norska med.

Wondering about the background of the blog? They're the Cliffs of Moher, in the neighbouring county, County Clare, 8km long, 700m high, and magnificent. Well worth a visit if anyone is around the West of Ireland



Sunday, February 9, 2014

7 storms in 7 weeks

The weather forecaster tonight said we have had 50% more rain than average since mid December, and that we have had 7 storm systems passing over Ireland in that period also.
Luckily, where we live, we have not been affected by flooding, but there have been many people affected by floods in Lmerick City, 20km away, and more people affected in Cork city, in County Clare, in Galway, and in seaside areas, as well as in many towns with rivers flowing through them... It must be horrendous to have your house or business flooded and to have to clean it all up and try and live in the house again.

Me, I am not a fan of storm force gales, and I sincerely hope we have seen the last of the storms for a while now.

Today I went for a walk, and spotted daffodil shoots coming up, and when I drive past my gran-aunts house I see the snowdrops in full bloom under the hedge.
There are already 3 daffodils in bloom outside a house I pass on my way to school.

I braved the elements last Friday to drive to the other side of Limerick to look at a spinning wheel, and yes, I bought it! 3rd wheel, and the reason I bought is was because it is an Ashford traditional, from circa 1985, and it was in great condition. I was told by an experienced spinner: You can always get an Ashford Traddy to work! It's true, in this case anyway. I had to improvise a drive band with kitchen cotton twine,  from tesco, and the wheel needed oiling, but then, she spun just fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment